Friday, December 7, 2007

My Method to the Madness

This time of year, we hear and read a lot of helpful tips telling us how to survive the holidays, enjoy the holidays, forget the holidays, fa-la-la-la-la. But nobody talks about those of us who somehow manage to enjoy them.

Maybe I’m the only one, but I have a great time with the holidays. And my family is no less dysfunctional than most. But maybe we know how to put the “fun” in “dysfunctional”!

Okay, bad joke, but truthfully, how do I do it? I had to stop and think about it, because, as with many things that we do with ease, I wasn’t really sure what I was doing differently from the miserable, lonely, and depressed. (With apologies to “The Little Mermaid.”)

First of all, I don’t do most of the things the helpful hinters suggest. I don’t get particularly involved with charity or donations, although if I come across something easy and worthy, I donate. (Salvation Army’s outside Target? I’ve got cash? Okay, here you go.)

I don’t make any extra effort to find time for myself, but that is something I do regularly anyway.

I don’t try to cut back on spending or the number of gifts—in fact, I really love to go overboard if I can.

I have not quit sending Christmas cards, but several years ago, I switched to an email greeting and newsletter that leaves me satisfied, if not my readers.

I don’t forgo traditional meals in favor of sandwiches to make my life less stressful. I just get up to my elbows in mashed potatoes and sing carols at the top of my lungs.

I don’t leave some of the decorating undone because it’s too much trouble. I put up what I like and if the neighbors think it’s ugly or not enough, too bad for them. I figure, I’m a poor little widow-woman and I haven’t had a man to do Christmas lights for over a decade. I do the best I can with what I’ve got!

So why am I so happy?

Well, other than being essentially happy (and helping others to be), there are two things I came up with that help me enjoy the holidays.

First, I flat out refuse to put pressure on myself about anything. For example, I get excited about the gifts I am giving and if the recipient is happy with it, there’s nothing better. If he/she is not, well, I’m no worse off than I was. And I don’t even give gifts outside the family. I love my friends and I tell them so, we spend time together, but we agree that a visit is better than a gift.

Second, I have a flexible work schedule. I think this is huge. And I acknowledge that it’s not an option for everyone. I met a woman who works at Starbucks and discovered that she also works full-time at HEB. How she’s putting in 75 hours a week, I can’t imagine. But she did not complain once about how hard it was to do that at Christmastime. We’ll have to ask her secret. Even though I will never work that many hours!

Apparently, one of my secrets is internal and one is external. You definitely have complete control over one. What about the other? I won’t tell you to quit your job, but you can quit being beaten up by it.

If you have happiness and flexibility all year long, you’ll sail through the holidays. And here is my wish that you do!

P.S. If you don’t have happiness and flexibility, you might want to consult someone insightful about that. ;o)

Happy Holidays!
Susan K.

Susan K. Morrow
www.SisterMystic.com
Author of Seven Chakras, Seven Days

No comments: