Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bands That Are Past Their Expiration Date

(Oh, sure, I usually talk about my woo-woo stuff, but this eponymous blog is a good place to talk about anything I like. So there.)

Ah, music. It hath charms, no? I love almost all of it, except jazz and rap--and I even like some forms of jazz and some hip-hop. I'm pretty inclusive, BUT I have recently noticed my newly-developed distaste for certain bands.

At first, I thought maybe I was just getting old and didn't like that "young whipper-snapper" music. But it's not the modern stuff that I don't like. It's music from my childhood and youth that is starting to gross me out and gag me with a spoon. (Graduated high school in 1981. Sorry.)

Here, in no particular order, are the bands and artists that have begun to turn me off, along with their offenses:

**The Who: I actually stopped liking The Who a long time ago, and I still don't like them. I think I mostly only liked them because they were cool and because I went to their concert at the AstroHall or the AstroDome or the AstroSomething in 1982. Disliking this band might be an indication that I am getting old, but I don't care. I'm tired of the the screaming and the long guitar solos.

**The Doors: Oy vey, if I have to listen to that interminable organ solo in "Light My Fire" one more time... Great for stoners, maybe, but not for me. I will still listen to "Touch Me" at least, but I won't light their fire. Or let them light mine.

**Fleetwood Mac: Now, this one surprises me, because I used to love Fleetwood Mac. But I never liked Stevie Nicks, either personally or vocally, and now I find her husky near-ruined voice almost unbearable. Again, there are exceptions: Earlier Fleetwood Mac songs have a better chance of being liked, plus there are one or two Stevie Nicks songs that I might slightly enjoy. "Edge of 17" comes to mind.

**Cyndi Lauper: Talk about a surprise. Cyndi was definitely cool in her heydey, and maybe her recent demi-comeback is still cool, but when I hear her old songs on the radio, I am just turned off. This one I chalk up to a definite "heat of the moment" issue--I liked it in the heat of the moment, but the moment has long since passed.

**Elton John: Okay, maybe I still love Elton, but if I do, it's becoming more and more of a secret to me. Unlike Stevie Nicks, he still seems like a person I would like if I knew him, but I think I'm just plain tired of his music. Plus most of his best songs ("Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", to wit) don't get played on the radio. So I will give him a B- and consider listening again someday.

I am excited to think about the bands I will add to this list as they start to disgust me. Stay tuned!

Until next time,
Susan K. Morrow
512-257-2737
www.SusanKMorrow.com
Susan@SusanKMorrow.com

No comments: